Trade Scholarship Details and Rules:
Fifty $2,000.00 scholarships are awarded each year upon successful completion of course work that leads to certification in certain skilled trades. These scholarships are prorated according to the number of SMART TD members in each of nine Districts and winners are selected by the luck of the draw at UTUIA headquarters by an independent auditing firm. The scholarship is effective January 1, 2018 for coursework completed in this year.
Applicant must :
- be a US citizen
- have completed a GED or High School Diploma
- be age 25 or under
- be associated with the UTUIA by either owning a UTUIA insurance policy or, by being the child or grandchild of a current UTUIA policyholder
- have a policy on the books no later than 12/31/2018
- be associated with SMART TD by belonging to the Union, or by being the child or grandchild of an active or lifetime SMART TD member
- be enrolled in course work or received a letter of acceptance from an accredited Trade School to apply
- show proof of satisfactory completion of course work and either received certification or will lead to certification
- apply no later than March 31st 2019
- apply online at www.utuia.org
Scholarships are awarded by chance, not grades however, successful completion of the coursework is required and proof of completion from the institution is required before awards are paid. Students who will complete coursework in 2018 are eligible even though enrollment may have been 2017.
The UTUIA Scholarship Committee decides whether individual scholarships should be continued or discontinued. The day to day management of the scholarship program is handled through the office of the UTUIA Secretary and Treasurer.
Examples of skilled trades:
- HVAC Technician
- Aircraft Mechanics
- Automotive Engineering Tech
- Electromechanical Tech
- Industrial Mechanics
- Metal Fabrication
- Tool and Die Making
- Agriculture Mechanics
- Heavy Equipment Tech
- Diesel Technology
This list is for example only and is not inclusive of all qualified trades.
Click Here for Scholarship Application and good luck!
Questions regarding the Scholarship programs may be directed to Beth Thomas by calling (216) 227-5254 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.