In 1967, Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen (BRT) Field Supervisors established an annual scholarship at Buena Vista University, Storm Lake, Iowa, in honor of the late Tom D. Eilers. The scholarship is in recognition of the service rendered by Mr. Eilers to the Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen, and Mr. Eilers’ interest in Buena Vista University.
Eilers was supervisor of the BRT Insurance Department and its Promotion Department (now referred to as the UTUIA Sales Department), from 1931 until 1942. From 1949 until his death in October, 1966, he was insurance counselor for the BRT. In 1943, Mr. Eilers became a member of the Board of Trustees of Buena Vista University. He was awarded the honorary degree of doctor of laws in 1957.
The Tom D. Eilers Memorial Scholarship is awarded to the child or grandchild of a member or deceased member of UTUIA or its predecessor organizations — the Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen, Brotherhood of Locomotive Firemen and Enginemen, Switchmen’s Union of North America, and the Order of Railroad Conductors and Brakemen. The first scholarship was awarded for the 1968 fall term.
Initially one $600 continuing scholarship was awarded. However, the scholarship award was recently increased, by a vote of UTUIA Field Supervisors, to two $2,000 four-year (undergraduate) scholarships.
- The student must attend Buena Vista University.
- The student must be the son, daughter, grandson, or granddaughter of a UTU/UTUIA (or predecessor organization) member or deceased member, or the Auxiliary of the UTU (formerly the Ladies Auxiliary of the BRT).
- The student must rank in the upper 40% of his/her graduating class of a fully accredited secondary school.
- The student must have a score of 550 or better on the Verbal and Mathematics portion of the College Entrance Examining Board tests, or a composite score of 24 on the American College Tests.
- A positive recommendation as to character and college potential from a secondary school official is also required.
Application Form (in .pdf format)
To secure an application or for additional information, contact:
UTUIA Sales Department Attn: Tom D. Eilers Scholarship 24950 Country Club Blvd., Ste. 340 North Olmsted, OH 44070 Telephone (216) 228-9400
on or before March 1 of each year; or you may complete the following form and mail it to the above address.
Scholarship awards are based on a random drawing. Decision of UTUIA and Buena Vista University is final.